Saturday, April 21, 2012

Starving Children in Africa


As a child I heard that phrase usually revolving around some threat about finishing ones food.  Over time it has became such a cliché…almost a joke.  It is not a joke.

I may have mentioned tommy’s new best friend Bernardo.  He is a sweet nine-year-old kid.  He has been a Godsend these last two weeks as Thomas has been home all day.  They play so well together: legos, cars, house, swords...more legos.  Bernardo LOVES legos.  At first we were hesitant to invite Bernardo in the house.  We had experienced a rather unsettling moment with another boy whose family lives on campus.  He had come inside and played with Thomas and his toy cars.  He left the house holding himself and I asked him if he had to go wee-wee (that is what they say here).  He shook his head adamantly and three toys cars fell out of his shorts.  So we have been a little reticent to invite kids in.  It can be overwhelming for them to see so many toys…it is strange to since Tommy has fewer toys than any other kid I knew back home.

So, to the point of the story…Bernardo came to our house hungry today.  Thomas came in to me, very concerned and said, “Mom, Bernardo doesn’t have any food at his house. No food at his house.” He repeated himself at least three times with the most distressed look on his face.  I wasn’t sure what to do; I know that sounds awful.  It should be so obvious what to do, but it just isn’t always that cut and dry.  We are in a bit of a sticky situation here as we live near so many with so much less than us.  We don’t want to be “the ones to go to” when people just want a loan so they can buy tujiliji (local, cheap alcohol).  We have already done that route with several of the people that work around the campus here.

Bernardo is a good boy, a very good boy actually.  I haven’t really met his parents but I am sure they are good people and I know his father is studying at the college here (they train pastors).  I gave Bernardo an apple and sent he and Thomas outside while I made lunch.  This little guy ate four bowls of chicken noodle soup, five or six rolls and about a quarter cup of butter (he has never had butter before). 

I asked Bernardo if he had breakfast, he said no.  I asked if he had mealie-meal (the staple starch everyone eats here) in his house…no.  It broke my heart.  I have never been hungry for any reason other than personal choice or poor planning (ie. forgetting my lunch).  I made two loaves of bread, and pulled ten eggs out of the fridge and sent Bernardo home with the food and a note telling his parents how much we appreciate their son and that we hoped they liked the bread.  The starving children in Africa are right next door.

7 comments:

Marci said...

That is so sad and I totally understand it being complicated. Thomas is learning such great lessons living there and you handled it perfectly!

emily a. said...

Break my heart. We are so blessed.

Leah said...

Few things pull at my heart strings as much as people being hungry. Thank you for taking care of him.

Amy said...

Always better to err on the side of kindness. Thanks for the reminder.

Falling From Trees said...

Caroline that is so hard.

janel said...

What an education I get just from reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading your blog. Even if I don't post anything, know that they always touch my heart and bring tears to my eyes. Keep being God's hands and feet and we will pray for protection over your family.

God Bless,
Tasha