Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bucket List

Seth using the slack from our slack line effectively - note also our pizza oven in the back corner.  Seth has been cranking out some amazing pizzas lately. 
Cali and I go for one mile jogs pretty often (I know that is a pathetic distance but that seems to be all we can manage these days).  She was giving me a pretty sweet serious face.  Also, it is winter here...sometimes.
Now, to the bulk of it...

There have been many times over the last couple of years when I have thought, “What am I going to put on my bucket list?”  I feel very fortunate to have experienced so much in such a relatively short period of time.  I also feel fortunate to be able to cross off, “African Safari” over and over again.

I was particularly happy to look at these pictures after a short and spotty skype conversation with my family.  It is hard being on the other side of the world but getting to see elephant and hippo on occasion sure does help.

Seth had business in the Lower Zambezi last weekend. So we decided to accompany him on his visit to the largest banana farmer in Zambia’s field.  We stayed and the gorgeous Kanyemba Lodge.  It is about three hours away and feels very remote since you have to drive the last 45 Kilometers on a ROUGH dirt road, which is bisected by a pontoon bridge. We went on two sunset river safari’s and saw tons of hippo, several elephant some bush buck and water buck and one huge crocodile.  The crocodile was spotted shortly after Seth and our coxswain jumped in the Zambezi to push our boat off a sand bank and shortly before we ran out of petrol.  Yes, that particular safari was infinitely more eventful than the first.

It was beautiful and I can’t wait to go again.








I love it when Tommy spontaneously breaks into song.









The luxury chalet with wonderful hot showers at Kanyemba - so beautiful! Seriously, you should check out the link...the first picture that pops up was our bedroom.

 

A pontoon bridge is a great place to get a one year snap shot. The Pontoon driver is also a skilled photographer.

5 comments:

Marci said...

The pictures in this post are amazing. You look amazing. Your life is amazing. What a lucky girl you are :-)!

emily a. said...

I know it's hard being so far away but glad you can find solace in your safari's when the most interesting thing I saw this week was a garage full of boxes I packed.

So glad you get a break from normal life every so often. That room was AMAZING!

I have to say my favorite picture was the one of Cali smiling out of the car window. LOVED it. That's one you should blow up.

Matt said...

Yup...the experiences you are having (although away from family) are so unique and special. Thank goodness for blogs!

Falling From Trees said...

You are such a great photographer

L said...

Love the pictures of the hippo and of you and Cali! Glad you're having fun.