Thursday, May 10, 2012

Stuff



 
Bernardo turned 10 this week.  I made him cupcakes and we all sang to him.  I told Wisdom and Gloria I would fire them if they didn’t sing.  They think I am the craziest Muzungu on the planet, but I know they like me. 

On the subject of Bernardo, He and Thomas were making paper crowns the other day and he used some stickers (thank you Matt, those have been indispensable!) to write his name. It turns out Bernardo’s name is RONALDO!  I could not stop laughing and asking him why he never corrected us.  Zambians almost universally make and “r” sound for all “l”s.  So I had him repeat his name for me a few times – it sounded like “Rernardo”.   You can see why we got confused.  Still we are all having a serious time adjusting and Thomas just calls him “nard dog” because he can’t seem to say Ronaldo.   
 

 
 
Another subject noteworthy subject.  Thomas is a very loving boy.  He is affectionate in every way, when he isn’t punching me in the face that is.   Last week he started calling Sophie his baby.  On the way to school,  “Bye Sophie, I love you.  You are my baby.”

A couple days later Bernardo was leaving the house to go home and I hear this exchange: “By Bernardo, I love you.”  “I love you too Tomas.” Sweet.

Then Yesterday Thomas was leaving his friend Oscar's house and Oscar was really upset.  He slumped down in a serious pouting position.  Thomas walked over, pulled him up, and gave him a big hug.  It was adorable, I hope he never looses his empathy.  





And of course...she is just adorable.

3 comments:

emily a. said...

You do such kind things for your friends. I bet Ronaldo felt so special. Priceless about his name- that's so funny.

And how did you end up with that adorable swimsuit for Cali? You know, the one that Tommy modeled for us in Philly?

Thanks for letting us know about our nasty malware. We tried to 'delete' it on our side. Does it still come up when you log onto our blog? That stinks...

Leah said...

So funny about his name and very kind of you to celebrate his birthday. I think I know where your kids sweetness comes from....

Ditto Family said...

Love how you are still calling him Bernardo at the end of your blog -- looks like everyone is going to have a hard time giving that up. Man, Thomas sounds like he gets around...I mean check out all the friends that he has. I'm guessing Cali is the magnet to all the friends.